Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Akihabara






















Stop number three, and the final stop of the day, was to the world's greatest electronics market; Akihabara. Like Yongsan in Seoul, this area is pretty well totally devoted to ALL things electronic. As Japan is the world's premier electronics giant, this area puts Yongsan to shame. It's bigger, has more stuff, and is so much brighter and newer. If you like electronic toys and their related cousins, this is the place to be in the world.

I had gone there to look for Yodobashi Camera, a nine floor building that is so large that looking from one end of it to the other it becomes a blur by the time you gaze down the floor displays and aisles. I know I've used the word "HUGE" a few times today already, but this word is quite apt here, too. It's HUGE!

I was specifically looking for a camera case and a wi-fi antenna. I found a nice case, after looking through five, or was that six, double sided aisles strictly devoted to only camera cases. You name it, and it was there. Well, except Lowepro's newest "Passport Sling" which was NOT there yet. From Billingham, to Crumpler, to Domke, to Lowepro, to f64 etc. Everyone was there. I was amazed. I bought an f64 bag in the end. The wi-fi antenna I could not find, though. Maybe in one of the smaller stores on the surrounding streets I might find one.

I had lot of trouble finding Yodobashi actually. I completely walked passed it when I exited the subway and headed for the big signs and crowded looking streets instead. I found all the other well known stores and areas, except the one I was looking for. It was only when I headed back towards the subway on my way back to the hotel that I saw it. Duh! It was too big. All I saw was a wall from up close. And, the sign was way at the top of the building nine floors up! I didn't look up. I had no idea what the place looked like either. Anyways, I did find it and was rushing to get out of there in time to miss the major rush hour on the subway. I'll probably return another time earlier in the day. And, what you probably already read about Tokyo's subway at rush hour travel is why it should be avoided.

I had dinner after getting back and went for a walk afterwards to walk off the meal. I explored my neighborhood some more. I found some more restaurants, too. Most are much more expensive than where I normally eat. I'll stick to the place. The food is very, very, good. And, filling, too.

And, that's a wrap for today. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment