Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ximending



















































Today was another day of non-rainy weather. It was even quite warm early in the afternoon with a glimpse of blue sky now and then. I even took off my long sleeve shirt after eating, only to put it back on again once outside. It was still too cool for a t-shirt (plus jacket) only. I think it hit close to 18C at one point.

Anyways, I went to the Ximending area of Taipei this afternoon. It is supposed to be the Shibuya of Taiwan. Shibuya being one of Tokyo's premier shopping and entertainment districts. See my post last year for that one here:


I found Ximending to be a much smaller and somewhat older version of Shibuya. There is still a lot of shopping, both high end and everything else, as well. It was not too crowded during the day, but really woke up as the sun went down. Lots of young people hang out here. I had also hoped to find more anime and manga than there was. I only saw two places that had some. Of course, there are probably more if one knows where to look. I didn't, only what I saw in passing.

I had also stayed till late just to get some pix of the area at night, too. But, the weather did not cooperate; it started to spit, heavily at points, after dinner. I decided to leave after that. So, no night pix because of it. And, much to my chagrin, as I went for some late night eats later in the evening, there was no rain what-so-ever. I should have stayed in Ximending longer and gotten my pix. Oh, well.

All in all, I liked the area. It has the feel of what Taipei should be like for the capital city of an Asian country. I guess I've been somewhat spoiled by the sights of Tokyo, Hong Kong and Seoul now. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment