Monday, February 14, 2011

Shin Shih Hotel






The hotel is actually very much in the center of the city and very convenient to most places it seems. It's older than the website pix show it to be, but much bigger than the one I stayed at in Hong Kong. I'm not sure if I would stay here again if I returned as I prefer something newer and more modern. I'm getting too old to settle for too low a level of quality just because of price anymore. I think I deserve some of the better things in life, now. Anyways, it's fine for this time around.

The weather was not cooperating at all yesterday when I arrived as it rained all day and into the night. I had no real opportunity to shoot some pix and I was just not in the mood due to the rain. One good thing about the architecture here is that all sidewalks where businesses are located are covered by the top floors of the buildings they reside in. One can walk the entire length of the street under cover. Think of the storefront inset into the building and allowing a double width sidewalk to form where the storefront would normally start. And, then doing this along the entire street. I'll get some pix of it when it stops raining.

As it was, I still managed to cover quite a bit of ground in the rain and discover some night markets where food is sold on the street. The vendors set up just like they do in Korea and sell there wares at night. The only difference being that there is more variety in the types of food being sold here than in Korea. As I cannot speak Mandarin, even though I did try and learn it a few years ago, I was oblivious to the conversations going on around me until I heard a young Korean couple talking. Ironically, they were the only people I understood, and my Korean sucks; the man was trying to convince his wife that the food being sold is very delicious. And, it was. I usually stay away from this type of street food as my stomach is not up to it (too sensitive). But, what I did eat did not cause my guts to drop out on me. And, that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment