Sunday, February 20, 2011

Around Hualien City















As I had mentioned in a previous post, I was here in Hualien to meet with some distant relatives. And, everyone turned out to be really nice. My second (third?) cousin showed me around the (almost) two days that I was in town. The town is relatively large with a very, very, long main street where all of the stores and action are. It's in many ways quite similar to some of the busy streets in Taipei; lots of stores and boutiques with lots of people. I did a few family type get togethers and meals. But, for the most part, I was exploring the city and surrounding countryside.

The pix here, though, are a mixture of the places that I was taken to and shown. I've no idea what most of the places were. But, they were interesting non-the-less. One was a Japanese shrine and the other was an old military lookout converted into an art gallery.

It's also an interesting observation, and it's one that I've seen many times before, and it's that when one lives in a city, one usually does not visit the places tourists visit. So, some of the places we went to were totally new to my second cousin as well. The irony of it all. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment