Wednesday, January 27, 2010

More Night Markets

Like all my previous nights here, last night and tonight I went for another stroll after eating too much to explore the night markets.

Last night's discoveries worth mentioning were the Goldfish Market on Tung Choi Street, between Mong Kok Road to the south and Nullah Road to the north, and the Sporting Goods Market on Fa Yuen Street, between Dundas Street to the south and Prince Edward Road West to the north. The Goldfish Market was not in tents as the fish tanks needed to be hooked up inside the stores to operate properly. So, this market did not have the carnival feel to it. Nor were there lots of lights to give it any atmosphere. But, man! The goldfish are the BIGGEST suckers I have ever seen. Some of them were like 20cm in diameter! And, the carp in one store were over 30cm. If you know anything about Chinese goldfish you will know that these things look very different from the standard North American varieties. Some people will call them ugly and some will call them cute. I found some to be cute and some to be ugly. To each their own. This is the area to go if you want a new fishy pet.

The Sporting Goods Market was also not in tents except for the last few blocks in the northern section of it. But, most of the tents were closed by the time I got to them. That I found strange as it was still quite early by Hong Kong standards. So, I really don't know what they were selling there. But, the southern section where everything was still in the stores had a very lively atmosphere to it. Lots and lots of bright neon and blaring music. Lots of people and activity. Quite the place to be.

And, tonight I went back to the Temple Street Night Market area and found some more sections to that market. There is a fortune teller section, a singer section where someone entertains an audience, a sex toy section (very small, thought), and an art section. As I was wandering around just following the vendors, I'm not quite sure what streets all of this is on. It's not shown on my map either. But, it is north of the Temple Street Market and somewhere near the Yua Ma Tie Police Station, I think. This area was not very crowded tonight. And, quite dark. This is not the well lit and carnival like atmosphere of the other more well known markets. But, as there are police everywhere at these markets, one never feels anything but safe.

Sorry for the lack of pix on this. The Goldfish Market was just too dark for any pix. The Sporting Goods Market I think I shot already, either daytime or some other night when I was wandering around. And, tonight's newly discovered markets were all too dark to do any shooting. Plus, for whatever reason, none of the vendors really like photos being taken of their stuff. I overheard some people complaining about how one vendor wanted money if they wanted pix. Meh!

Anyways, more food followed and now I am a stuffed piggy again. I think I put on a few kilos since I got here. Time for a diet when I get back home to Korea!

No comments:

Post a Comment