Monday, January 25, 2010

Ladies (Night) Market























I continually to be amazed at the things I see everyday here. Just when I thought that there could not be anything better that what I have already seen, there is just around the corner.

The Ladies (Night) Market (parenthesis mine) is even better than the Temple Street Night Market that I have been going to lately. Located on Tung Choi Street, between Dundas Street to the south and Argyle Street to the north, this market is a bit more upscale with better quality stuff. Plus, the clientele seems to be better as well. But, that could just be my imagination as most of the people here are tourists. Anyways, it was not as crowded tonight. Most likely because it is not the weekend anymore. But, the surrounding sidewalks were a madhouse of young people, mostly students and the like. The food at the side street vendors was amazing. I had some grilled duck that was amost as good as Korean smoked duck, and certainly a bit better than the smoked duck at Home Plus back in Korea.

The atmosphere was very vibrant, "young" and alive. Quite a different feel to it than Temple Street where it is a bit more sedate. I did hear a few vendors complain about it being not as busy as usual, though.

The pix are of the market itself plus some of the surrounding streets with the neon and the lights and things. The pix do not look crowded with people only because I was waiting for the quietest moments to shoot. The streets are packed, as well as the market. Just not as packed as they were on the weekend. I also find that some vendors do not like to have a camera pointed right at there stuff, so I shot at angles out of sight for the most part.

And, for the photographers out there, all shots shot at ISO 80 on the Canon S90. Shutter speeds range from 1/8 to 1/15 at f2.8 to f4. IS operating of course. For a small compact camera, the image quality is phenomenal out of it for night shots. Almost as good as a DSLR. Clean, smooth, and noise free unlike the ISO 200 shots from last night (which I really have to reshoot again).

Oh, and my poor little feeties. I tried to walk as little as possible today and I did succeed somewhat during the day, but this night killed them again. The blisters hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment