Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hakoya Ramen





Time for another food review post. Last month I went to this Japanese style ramen place and was really a bit too under the weather to even think about trying to do a review of it. Now, about a month later and in good health, I have returned to try the food again.

I love Japanese style noodles and that was practically all I ate every day while I was in Tokyo last year. And, this place does not disappoint. I had the same thing I had the last time I was there and it was just as good. I ordered the 구마모토 (W7000), which is a noodle soup bowl with a rich broth of garlicky proportions. Chopped and fried garlic in a pan is one of those great pleasures in life where the rich aroma and taste of garlic is brought immediately to the forefront of any dish. But, if this is overdone, or over-fried, it becomes bitter and is really disgusting. Getting it just right is an art. And, they did it right here, both times. The garlic taste is rich and powerful, but still sweet and mellow. It's the highlight of the broth. The medium thin noodles were soft and tender without being too doughy. Just right. I hate big thick noodles. The pork slices tender and tasty. And, the egg was, well, a hard boiled egg. Anyways, everything together was delicious.

About the only thing not quite up to snuff was the temperature of the broth, it was not hot enough. Noodle soup, if too hot is no fun to eat at all; it burns your tongue, kills your taste buds and just plain make you sweat throughout the entire meal. In the Tokyo noodle place I went to, they got the temperature just right on ALL the meals I had there and I ate there both meals all week every day! In any case, the broth here could have been hotter, but it's a mild complaint when everything else was just right.

The other dish I tried was 규동 (W7000), which is sliced pork stir fried in a sauce and served with pickled ginger and a raw egg over rice. Normally, I hate pickled ginger, but in this instance, as it was in Tokyo, the mixture of flavors is amazing. It's the ginger that actually make it so great. Dare I say that the version here in Korea is actually better than the version I ate in Tokyo? It is! This is one of those taste experiences that need to be experienced to understand how good it actually is as no words can do it justice. Just go and try it!

Location:

Until I was actually writing this post, I didn't realize that Hakoya is a chain. I went to the Gangnam outlet. From Gangnam subway station, exit from exit number 5 and just keep walking straight. In about half a minute, you will see the squiggly blue building I wrote about back last summer (June 2010 post) to your right. It is at this first street corner that you make a right turn and about half a dozen stores/restaurants later, across the street on your left hand side, that you will see Hakoya (in English lettering). It's right next to a driveway, so you should not miss it.

For more info, you can either call them, or visit their website below:

Hakoya; 02.3441.8229 (Gangnam outlet)

www.hakoya.co.kr

And, don't forget to pick up one of their frequent eater cards. It's a good deal as you get something for free only after 5 stamps.

Highly Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment