Monday, August 1, 2011

End Of Contract Update

As I near the end of my current year two contract, which has less than five weeks left in it, I find myself at a bit of a loss. I had decided a few months ago not to renew it owing to a number of factors related to the work I was doing and with the idea of looking for another, better, position elsewhere in the country.

Unfortunately, things have not quite gone according to Hoyle. My attempts at finding a new teaching position have met with one brick wall after another. The problems for Asians finding English teaching positions in Asia are well documented on the internet and I won't bore you with rehashing all the details here. Suffice to say that unless I wanted another less than spectacular position akin to the one that I am leaving, I am not going to find anything anytime soon.

So, after approximately sixty job applications later, one interview, and one possible scam, I have decided to head back to Canada for the time being and bide my time for a few weeks and/or a few months while I am back there. Come mid to late fall, the positions will open up again as new teachers who cannot handle the isolation brought about by their lack of ability to communicate within their new surroundings will start to appear as they make a "midnight run" back home. Then, the better jobs will have "immediate" openings eager to be filled. Perhaps, at that time, I will be able to find a decent position, a position I cannot find now.

Don't get me wrong, I am still looking every day and I am still sending out applications to the jobs that look promising. I'm just not going nuts about it. That's all. My current main countries of interest are now Japan, Taiwan and Korea. And, in that order, too. If by some off chance something decent turns up even in Toronto, which I sincerely doubt, I may even stay there again. I dunno. Like I said at the beginning of this little treatise, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next.

On a more positive note, I am heading back to Tokyo in about a week's time for my holidays. I'll be there for about a week just like the last time I was there and hope to be able to relax and get my head out of my butt for a while. I'll take in the sights, shoot some pix and eat some good tasty food again. I'll stay at the same hotel that I stayed at the last time I was there as I really liked the place and the restaurant next to it. Mmmmmm. Yummy!

I'll most likely blog about the trip while I am there, too. Perhaps not in as much detail as before, but blog I will. I know I said previously that I would give up the blogging in real time as it takes up way too much time to do owing to my poor typing and proofreading abilities, but I want a record of it even if just for my own memories later on.

So, see ya on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment