Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hot Summer Treats III

This will most likely be my final entry in this ice cream treats series. I need to cut back on these things! LOL


"Megaton" sounds like a Transformer doesn't it? Well, that's its name from the packaging. And, I really dunno what this one tastes like at all either. It's really very, very, strange. I've had it a couple of times already just to get a handle on it, but I can't. I can only taste the very first bite of it and from there on in, I cannot taste it anymore. It's as if the thing desensitizes one's taste buds with the first bite. And, this phenomenon happens every time I try it. From what I can tell, there are hints of caramel, toffy, maybe coffee and maybe tapioca, and other brown stuff thrown in for good measure.

It also does not behave like a popsicle in its melting characteristics as it's just a bit too smooth when it melts and not as crystalline as it should be for a popsicle. Nor, does it behave like ice cream when it melts either as it's just not as smooth and creamy a texture as ice cream should be. It's a bit of both actually from what I can tell. Very strange indeed.

In any case, I like the thing. It's very unique. I'll have to eventually keep trying it till I get a more definitive analysis of its taste.

Available at no name mom and pop convenience stores for W1000 (about US $0.80).

Recommended


This "Red Bean Ice Candy" bar is another one of the frozen red bean type bars. As it is from Paris Baguette, just like the frozen "Mango Ice Candy" bar (from "Hot Summer Treats II"), I was expecting something really good. But, as it turned out, that was not the case here again. The "BB Bean" bar (from Hot Summer Treats I) is the best so far.

The Red Bean Ice Candy bar was just not as dark a brown as the BB Bean bar and the amount of red beans itself was less than 1/4 to 1/3 of it as well. Hence, the taste was also very bland and not as sweet, or as rich as the BB Bean bar. Plus, just like the Mango Ice Candy bar, this bar also had that too frozen a texture. Perhaps these have been sitting in the freezer too long, or that's just the way they are. I dunno. All in all, somewhat disappointing overall.

Cost is W700 (about US $0.50) at Paris Baguette.

Not Recommended; especially since it cost the same as the BB Bean bar, which is waaaay waaaay better.

(Sorry. Generic pic from the web again. But, this is the way it looks. I usually don't pre-plan to get these things and carry a camera with me specifically for it. I just pop into the place on a spur of the moment thing while walking.)

This is a "Soft Cone" from Lotteria. Lotteria is Korea's version of McDonald's. They are everywhere. I can pass at least three of them on my way home from my school without even looking for them. The food is like McD's, too; fast food and very fattening. I eat their burgers and fries once a week when I can't make it to any other authentic ethnic food places. But, more about burgers in a future blog post. This one is about ice cream.

I probably eat these things more often than any of the other ice creams simply because they are so cheap at W500 (about US $0.40). Plus, it's also quite good for what it is too; tasty without being overly sweet and the cone is crunchy and not soggy like a lot of ice cream places. I hate soggy cones! I guess they sell a lot of these in a day to keep the cones out of the box fresh. If you've had McD's US $0.50 cones before, you know what these are like. They are identical. Made with ice milk, I believe.

Only at Lotteria for W500 (about US $0.40), which is on practically every street corner.

Highly Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment