Friday, May 22, 2009

Movie Review: Terminator Salvation














(All images copyright of Warner Brothers)

I waited for this movie for a long time and I was not disappointed. A good continuation of the Terminator franchise that I loved throughout the years. The effects are great and the action is intense. Being set in a post apocalyptic landscape, it looks the part. The new style Terminators are great, too. Although, when I first saw the giant "Harvester" Terminator in previews months ago I could not help but think "Transformers". But, once I was watching the movie, those thoughts never even cropped up. 

I also like the new character they introduced, Marcus Wright, as a "lost soul" in search of who he is. I think if the movie was just about the story of John Connor himself, it would have been a bit less interesting as all the movies before this one had already worked his story too much as it was. Adding a fresh angle to the story line made it more enjoyable. Like in any new frontier, there are heroes and villains all around and nothing says there only has to be one of each. 

A lot of the professional critics panned the movie, but one would have to be a fan of the series to really appreciate the nuances that are put into it. A few too many inside bits and it gets lost to most people unfamiliar with the franchise. That being said, it is still enjoyable strictly from an action movie point of view. To me, the Terminator mythos is there and the quality is there to enjoy. A worthy continuation of the franchise in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment