Saturday, June 6, 2009

In-Town Orientation

Toy Story

On Monday of this week, I went to the in-town orientation session conducted by the nice people at Canadian Connection, the agency that hired me for my new position in Korea. There were about 20 of us new teachers altogether and it went well. A lot of information was given out amongst the various presentations by various speakers. A nice Korean food lunch was also provided, too. Yummy!

Along with ample reading material to read through, I only have one more set of papers to complete in order to get my work visa. I had already submitted my first set of papers a few days prior to the orientation. That was a relief. I should be getting my official contract and notice of appointment within the next couple of weeks. That will then complete my second set of papers and I can go and apply for the visa at that point. For now, I am just waiting.

I have read through many blogs of current, and past, teachers regarding their experiences in Korea and I think I lucked out when it came to an agency and the process so far. Most seem to be dropped into the new life without any preparation and support. Basically, a sink or swim type of affair. As I am working for the Ministry of Education, there is an official 5 day orientation in Korea as well as the short one by the agency here. This helps immensely with not feeling totally lost and abandoned half way around the world. Thus, if there is anything I can recommend in my short exposure to this so far, it would be to find a position with the Ministry and an agency that provides some level of support both before, during, and after landing. It does lessen the shock.

So far, so good.  Wish me luck with the rest of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment