Thursday, May 7, 2009

Movie Review: Star Trek








(All images copyright of Paramount Pictures)

It seems all I do lately are movie reviews. Well, this is about as exciting as my life gets these days! Anyways, this is the very first showing of the movie in the city where I live on the very first day of its release here. The theatre was not full to capacity as this day is still a regular work day for most people and tomorrow as well.  It was well over three quarters full, though. I usually do not go to opening night due to the crowds, but this one I just had to see as soon as it came out as I was too hyped not to go. Most reviews I read were very positive and I was expecting great things from it. I was not disappointed at all. And, I'm a hard one to please when it comes to movies.

For anyone not a fan of the original, and all the following series there after, nothing will be lost in watching this movie. That being said, some of the inside jokes and characterizations will be richer for your experience if you have at least some working knowledge of the original "Star Trek" series from the 60's from which this is based upon. But, this movie stands very well on its own merits without any of that back history.  The action is there, the effects are there, the story is there and, most importantly, the characters are there.  And, there are a lot of great, funny, moments scattered throughout the movie that do not detract, but actually add to the experience.

You will notice I do not usually give any plot synopsis in my reviews, but just an overall impression of my experience of a movie and its overall impact on me. I think  this is a better way for me to convey how I feel about a movie as this is what counts in my experience of it. You can read about plots in any general review in any newspaper, or website. To me at any rate, if I do not like something I will not write about it. If I do write about it, it means it had an impact on me. And, that's usually a positive impact.

Now, tIme for you to go and see the movie for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment