Monday, June 21, 2010

Hot Summer Treats II

Well, part two of my "Hot Summer Treats" series has appeared a lot sooner than I had anticipated. It's been really hot here lately! LOL


Starting off this series of short reviews is a "Mandarine Orange" flavored (and colored) popsicle that tastes great. The orange flavor is intense without being sour, or too sweet. It's just about spot on. This one is a simple solid orange popsicle without any additional flavors inside of it. The orange flavor supposedly comes from "Jeju Island" oranges renowned in South Korea for their superior flavor. The orange taste is stronger than the "Shark" themed dual flavored popsicle from last week's review series. Very refreshing and light.

Anyways, this one can be found at most non-franchise chain convenience stores (the mom and pop stores carry a greater variety of different ice creams/popsicles than the big chains it seems). I think it was W700 (about US $0.50).

Highly Recommended


This "Kiwi" popsicle is probably the best popsicle I've ever tasted! It's three layers; the outside layer is kiwi sherbet; the middle layer is plain and simple ice (!) - for the crunch, I guess (or, to prevent the flavors from mixing detrimentally during its shelf-life); and the inside center is pineapple sherbet. This flavor mix tastes amazing when eaten together; the slight tartness of the kiwi mixes with the sweetness of the pineapple to create something most excellent. This is something akin to a tart slice of kiwi dipped in dark chocolate and eaten together; something very unique and delicious.

A must try popsicle if you can find it. Not available at the chain conveniences stores. I also think I was over-charged for it as there is no price printed on it like the others. And, it's a bit smaller than most popsicles. But, at W1000 (about US $0.80), it's no biggie! YMMV

Most Highly Recommended


The final item up for review is the "Mango Ice Candy" from Paris Baguette. I had high hopes for it simply owing to the fact that is a Paris Baguette branded product. And, I have had some great experiences with their foods from pastries to ice creams. Although, I have had a few dud items from them, too. I would not really classify this one as a total dud per se. But, it was not as intense and rich a flavor as I was expecting. The mango taste was fine, just not as strong as I had anticipated. It also seemed to be a bit too "frozen" if such a thing can happen. Maybe if it was not so hard, the flavor might have been better. But, even at the end, when it would have softened up some, it was still a bit hard and "bland" in comparison to other popsicles I've had. Meh! Win some, lose some.

Only available at Paris Baguette. W700 (about US $0.50)

Sorta Recommended; It's ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment