Monday, May 31, 2010

Cuban Cigars





Normally I am not a smoker. I actually hate being exposed to second hand cigarette smoke. I find it to be one of those annoying things one should not have to put up with. But, a few years ago I picked up the habit of indulging in a Cuban cigar, or six during the summer months. Summer because I can be outdoors with it and not have the smoke kill me, or anyone else, inside of an enclosed room. Summer because it is very relaxing to be outdoors with a gentle breeze blowing and a nice rich cigar slowly burning. I also find that most cigarette smokers seem to loath the smell of cigars. So, in a way, I look at this as getting back at those who have annoyed me with their cigarette smoke.

Whatever rationalization I may want to use, it does not matter. I enjoy my cigars. For those who know anything about cigars, Cuban cigars are the world's best. They have a rich, smooth, mellow taste to them that no other country's cigars can match. They are also the most chemical free and most naturally hand-made cigars in the world owing to the simple fact that the country is so poor and backwards technologically that modern methods are not used at all. Being one of the few remaining communist countries left in the world, they are also closed off to most big corporations and their methods. Good thing. Rest assured that a Cuban cigar is the least likely thing to kill you if enjoyed in moderation. I may have at most 4-6 of them in one year during the summer months.

As for the best brands, Cohiba is the most famous. Some of the others include Punch, Trinidad, Partagas, H. Upmann, Hoyo de Monterrrey, etc. But, my favorite is H. Upmann. H. Upmann is not that easy to find outside of Cuba. Most people know the names Romeo y Julieta and Montecristo and that's simply because they have never been to Cuba to know that there are a few dozen well known brands being made all with a character their own. I've been to Cuba 3 times in my life and have tried a number of different brands.

Ironically, Cuban cigars are all price fixed no matter where you buy them in the world. They are expensive even in Cuba. Consequently, fake cigars abound and there are entire websites devoted to rooting them out. If someone in Cuba offers you cut rate cigars because their brother/sister/cousin/uncle/mother/father/aunt/uncle works in the factory, just walk away. The real deal costs big bucks no matter where you buy them. The only authorized exporter of authentic Cuban cigars is Habanos S.A. All cigar dealers must get their stock from Habanos for authentic Cuban cigars. All others are fake. I would advise you to learn how to spot fake Cubans before venturing out in this endeavor if you are unsure as to the authenticity of your dealer's stock.

Anyways, here in Korea, there are two Habanos authorized Cuban cigar dealers and they are Maska's Cigars at the J.W. Marriott Hotel at Express Bus Terminal subway station in Seoul and Pierre Ltd. at the Grand Intercontinental Hotel in Seoul. As I went to Maksa's, I know where it is located. I Don't know where Pierre's is located, but I'm sure you can find it on-line.

Maska's is a short walk from the subway station. The Marriott is located right behind Shinsegae department store as you exit the subway. Depending on where you exit, just look for either one. If you see Shinsegae, then the Marriott is behind it blocked from view. If you exit at a further exit, you cannot miss the Marriott as it is a looming tower in the sky. Maska's is just to the left as you walk towards the reception desk. It is smaller than I anticipated and the selection is limited to mostly the Cohiba brand. But, a fairly good selection of Cohiba is to be found. I bought 4 Cohiba Siglo II's (see pix). I liked the Siglo I's when I tried them a few years ago and the Siglo II's are a more mellow version of the Siglo I's. I'm waiting for a nice day on the weekend to try them.

Additionally, I also like vanilla flavored mini-cigars. If you know of North American brands like Colts and Captain Black Sweets, then you get an inkling of what I am talking about. But, they are just horrid compared to Dominican Republic (DR) brands of vanilla flavored cigars. Brands from the DR being the best of this cigar type that I have personally tried. Still, they do not hold a candle to a true full-size Cuban cigar. But, sometimes there is just no time to enjoy a full-size Cuban. Unfortunately, the vanilla flavored cigars become quite harsh and bitter at about the halfway point, so this is another one of those times when size does matter!

Cost: Cohiba Siglo II at Maska's - W26,000 each; Havana Honeys at Maska's - W3000 each.

Update (July 5, 2010):
As one ages, one's taste in things also changes over time. This goes for everything from food, to drinks, to music, to movies, to hobbies, etc. Perhaps this is just how one evolves, or perhaps we just become more discriminating. I dunno. But, what I do know is that my enjoyment of cigars has waned over the past few years. And, I think this summer is my last summer of cigars. They no longer taste as good to me as they once did. Time to say good-bye to them me thinks. So, good-bye. It was nice while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment