Thursday, May 27, 2010

A "Chinese Restaurant"


I went to a Chinese restaurant today after work with a fellow teacher friend from my school. It was surprisingly good! I would estimate that it is about 85% close to American style Chinese food overall. But, with more of a "home cooked" style of preparation and taste than a true authentic restaurant taste.

We ordered a few very simple items as the servings are quite large and there were only two of us. I was a bit unsure as to the amount of food we would actually get. My friend has been there before of course and I deferred to his recommendation. As it turns out, the servings are about twice the usual size I would normally have expected. Good thing we only ordered two items. I am still feeling stuffed as I write this.

The Fried Dumplings were nicely colored and crispy. The skin wrapping looked to be the authentic flat and square shaped egg noodle normally used. I think they were. The stuffing was a mix of Chinese style and Korean style meat and vegetable fusion. They were very good. I'd say about 95% authentic American-Chinese style in taste and presentation.

The Beef with Celery dish, really a home cooking style combination of a basic meat and vegetables dish, was also very good. The Chinese style mushrooms were a nicely added touch. The beef was marinated quiet well, but not over marinated. And, the taste was very good overall. I think the best part of it for me was that there was actual garlic cooked along with the rest of the ingredients. How I miss cooked garlic in my food. A bit too much corn starch and oil though, but that's par for the course. The beef looked a bit strange to me at first as it looked like pork in color, but it was definitely beef. Think of it as almost veal-like in appearance and you get the idea. I'd say close to an 85% rating with respect to authenticity and taste.

I know trying only two different dishes does not really show how good overall a restaurant really is, but with limited mouths to help eat the food, it will have to suffice for now. I had a good feel for the place even after such a limited exposure. I would personally stay away from the knowingly Korean-Chinese style dishes, though, as I have never liked this fusion. Just my taste and nothing against those who do like this fusion style.

As this was an impromptu meal at the end of the day, I did not have a camera to take pix with me. I even forgot to get a business card on the way out; something I told myself earlier to get on the way out. Duh! I'm getting old! Luckily, I pocketed an unused napkin while still sitting at the table. As for the address, I have no idea! My friend drove and all I know is that it is inside Bupyong-Gu halfway between Gyayang-Gu and Bupyong subway station. All in Incheon, of course. If you live here, just call them and ask for directions. It is just off a main street near Bupyong-Gu Office, so you should be able to find it. Limited parking on the side streets. Trilingual menu in Chinese, Korean and English.

Recommended

Name: See pic above. I cannot read Chinese!

Location: See above last paragraph.

Price: A bit on the expensive side, but still worth it. I would go back again with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment