Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Week And A Bit To Go

A Family Reunion

It's coming down to the wire. I have a week and a few days left before the big day; the day I fly out to South Korea to start my new job, and my new life. And, it's going to be quite a day, too. The flight does not leave until almost midnight. It's thirteen and a half hours long. The arrival is at about two thirty in the morning with no pick up to the hotel for the week's orientation until seven in the morning. Then, of course, there will be no major sleeping until later that night. All in all I figure it will be about a thirty six to forty four hour "day". I don't even want to think about that right now!

The past month has gone by very quickly. I don't really know where the time goes anymore. If I do a 3d image on a day, there goes that day as the process is quite long and involved. Getting together with friends consumes another whole day. And, there have been quite a few of those this month for obvious reasons. Then, there is regular day to day stuff that has to be done as well. Time flies!

Earlier in the month, all my paperwork and documents finally finished. My visa, contract, etc., is now in hand as well as airplane ticket and the like. Oh, yeah. The airplane ticket. Sometimes it does not pay to be the early bird. I bought mine almost as soon as I received the notice of its availability. Then a few days after I paid, the price dropped by almost a few hundred dollars. It took over a month to get that refunded and straightened out. This happened only a few days ago. The stress of it all as time runs out is not fun. Sometimes being too good is not good for you!

I also recently saw "District 9", the latest sci-fi movie to hit the theaters. It's another must see for all sci-fi buffs and especially those who are not. Smartly done and gripping from start to finish, it never lets you go. You are drawn in and totally involved in the story. From the looks of things, it is destined to become a classic. Parallels to present day socio-political events make it even more dramatic and relevant. I don't think there is a message here other than how terrible the human condition really is in its intolerance to those who are different. Go see it. You won't be disappointed.

Well, my final week will be busy just like the ones leading up to it. Hopefully I can relax a bit before the big flight over. I move out of the apartment and check into the Hilton for my last two days in the city and all I want to do is relax at that time. Internet access might be a bit difficult during the transition phases of the move, but I will update this blog when I can. It will be my main source of communications at that time. And, until then, that's it for this update.

No comments:

Post a Comment