Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bambino Italian Bistro



















One of the things I love most is good food. And, by that I should say, good authentic food. Not some "somethingized" version of a food. Italian food is one of my favorite things. In North America, as well as South Korea, they "North Americanize" and/or "Koreanize" most foods from other cultures. I absolutely HATE this bastardization of original authentic foods! The taste is absolutely not the same afterwards. I know I've waxed poetic (perhaps "bitched" is a better term) about this phenomenon regarding Chinese food in years past and I won't rehash it all again here. Suffice to say I prefer the original tastes of the foods that I eat.

In Toronto, Canada, where I have lived for most of my life, there is a very large Italian community in the city with many authentic Italian restaurants. Like most ethnic peoples, Italians will refuse to eat Italian food if it is not authentic in taste. So, I have had "real" Italian food quite often. Plus, I've also been to Italy. The food taste is the same, which is AWESOME!

One of the late finds during my last few weeks in Korea was the only authentic Italian taste restaurants I have ever found there. They opened downstairs in one of the buildings in the "officetel" complex where I used to live. I regret not being there anymore because their food is just so AWESOME! Owned by a very nice young couple, the food is to die for. It is amongst the best authentic Italian food tastes I have ever had. Period!

I have tried many of their menu items, but not all of them. I was never disappointed by anything they made. Today's photos are of one type of pizza they make; Salami Pizza. It is a thin crust pizza with just the right amount of crunch at the edges and with soft, creamy, chewy cheese in the middle. The salami is real Italian salami and not North Americanized salami so prevalent in pizzas everywhere. The drizzled olive oil makes it so rich and tasty. The appetizer is made of toasted bread with a crushed olive topping (black) and of a lemon topping (green). Very tasty indeed. The salads they make are amazing. I cannot describe how incredible the taste is. If all you know are North American lettuce and tomato salads, you are missing the other 99% of the world!

I wish them great success in their new business as their food is that good. I worry about how well they will do because most Koreans do not like to stray outside of their own Korean food tastes. And, this restaurant is about as far outside of their usual comfort zone as you can get; it's authentic and that's something Koreans only like when it comes to eating their own foods.

Very Highly Recommended

Price: Reasonable

Location: Hivarasa Ville, Incheon, South Korea; opposite Home Plus near Imhak subway station.

No comments:

Post a Comment