Tuesday, September 28, 2010

KCF

I've been back in South Korea for a bit over a month now. There's nothing really all that exciting to write about lately as I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things again after almost three weeks off prior to that. Am I really here for at least another year? I guess I am!

Anyways, the other day I found out that a new KFC franchise location just opened recently near where I live. I've not gone to that particular area for a while now, so this was news. Additionally, I also saw a Pizza Hut on my way there, too. Things really change very quickly around here. But, that will be a review for another day. Maybe. Today it's KFC's turn.

The new KFC is inside the old CGV building. That's a movie theater chain for those of you wondering what it is. The last time I was there the place was empty, save for the theater itself, and a few stalls selling ends of line discount clothing in a mostly empty building. Now, it's turned into many floors of retail stores selling some really expensive clothing, other things, restaurants and services. But, I digress.

I went into the KFC after work yesterday and looked over the menu selection. It looked about the same as most KFC's I've been in except there are no combos with chicken, fries and salad(s). The odd combos are just chicken and soft drinks. But, the burger combos are "normal", though. You have to realize that here fried/BBQ'd/grilled/baked chicken is usually not considered a main course food item served with other stuff. It's usually considered bar food served with alcoholic beverages and not much else. Hence, the "strangeness" of the missing combo items. In any case, I made up my own relatively "normal" combo.

The food was very disappointing to say the least. The chicken was undercooked so that the coating was soggy and very bland in texture. It also looked too light in color, too. Koreans and their preoccupation with singed foods and the cancer causing free radicals inherent in this style of cooking goes a long way to make things that should taste really good, taste really bland and lifeless. But, I've harped on this before. I'll stop now. Granted, the chicken had been sitting in the showcase warming oven for quite some time and this undoubtedly affected it's taste and texture, too. But, I was disappointed none-the-less. And, don't even ask me about the fries. They were, perhaps, amongst the worst fries I have ever eaten. Even worse than store bought frozen oven fries. Soggy, tough, lukewarm, powdery at points, and tasteless. Their only saving grace was a hint of saltiness once in a blue moon. Oh, and the ketchup was real Heinz Ketchup, at least from the taste if not the packaging. And, the salad! What salad?

So, there you have it. I'm glad I don't frequent KFC too often, not even when I was back in Canada. It's not one of my food interests. This was probably about the first time I have gone to a KFC in well over a year, or more. It just peaked my interest yesterday. Maybe I should also stay away from the Pizza Hut, too, as I had read before that it's not the same pies here either. Meh!

Location: Gyayang-Gu CGV KFC

Not Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment