Sunday, November 29, 2009

Itaewan - Seoul














I was never much of a fan of Itaewan. The first time I was there I didn't like it at all. It reminded me of just a smaller, more crowded, version of some parts of Bloor St. back in Toronto. Itaewan is the foreigner section of Seoul and is the only area of town where foreigners seem to out number the Koreans. The main draw of the area is that most shops have an English speaker. So communication is easier.

On this somewhat cold saturday, I wandered into the side streets instead of staying on the main drag and found some more character to the area than I had seen on my first trip there. I was also pleasantly surprised at some of the things I found along the way, too. I found a place that actually sold real airsoft toys instead of the watered down versions normally found in Korea. Guess I'll have to return to that store again. But, my main reason for the trip was to find a travel agency and this I found, too. I'll just have to return another day as I didn't have my passport with me as that is needed to make a booking. I plan to go to Hong Kong at the end of January, 2010, during my winter break. Can't wait!

Dinner later that evening was at an Indian restaurant and the food was remarkably authentic in taste and very good, too. Although, I found the portions to be a bit small and the price a bit expensive, especially for Korea where food is usually very reasonable. But, all in all, not a bad day.

Plus, my new camera performed beautifully on the cold day. I was reluctant to buy it initially as there were no reviews out on it yet and it was quite expensive for what it is. But, I'm now very glad I did. Image quality approaching that of a DSLR. Not bad, not bad. Just have to sell the old one now to pay for the new one!

No comments:

Post a Comment