Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Impressions

It has been a bit over a month and a half since I arrived to my new life here as an English teacher in South Korea. Aside from a few stumbles during the first little while on my own, things have, for the most part, been pretty smooth. The following are some of my impression of my life thus far.

I have been finding it to be somewhat of a shock to my system after having not worked for a bit over two years to be back into a full tiime job again. But, I'm acclimating slowly to the new routine. Although, after a long day I really have no energy or desire to do anything else after getting home other than to veg. The work itself is actually not as difficult as I had originally expected it to be. Lesson plannig is actually very simple as I just take them straight out of the textbooks I brought with me. All the students are at such a low level that nothing has to be too complex for me to teach. This makes my job much easier. Some classes are more difficult in terms of discipline than others. But, for the most part, they run fairly smoothly.

As for living here, I like it. I finally found clothes that actually fit me properly as opposed to being too big for me like they are back in Canada and the USA. I replaced almost ALL the clothing I brought with me already with stuff that fits. This is quite ironic as I spent so much money and effort on new clothes to bring here only to end up givng them all away. But, that's ok. I'm happier with my new stuff. I seem to be redefining/remaking myself all the time. LOL

Food and eating are great. I can now eat "normally" and not have the same digestive issues I used to have back in Canada. I think it's because of much less chemicals, preservatives, growth hormones, etc., that is so prevelant in the foods back in Canada. It seems more natural here and that is a GOOD thing. Spoilage occurs much quicker though, but that just means the food is more untainted here. People here are very, very, conscious about the QUALITY of the food and the ingredients that make up the food they eat. People back in Canada seem pretty oblivious to what they put into their systems in comparison. I can now drink juices again, eat good TASTY fruits, and rice again without any problems. I also eat out all the time! It's so cheap! Not like back in Canada where a meal costs a small fortune (unless you eat in Chinatown), a meal here will set you back only a few dollars, and for good food, too.

Transportation is also very good here without a car, too. Buses and subways take me everywhere I want to go. And, it's cheap. A bus ride is less than $0.60 and a subway ride is about $1.50 or less (depends on distance) usually. I've not used a taxi by myself yet. Although, they are very cheap. Not like back in Canada where the starting fare there is usually the ending fare here! I also walk to a lot of places, too. I walk to and from school. It's about about half an hour one way. Good exercise!

But, things are not as cheap for everything, though. Internationally known brand-name clothes, shoes, and electronices are just as expensive here, if not more, than they are back in Canada. It seems cameras and computers are less expensive in the USA, where I usally buy those things. As there are large import tarrifs for these techno toys here, they are epxensive here. It's to protect their own manufactureres no doubt as everything is also made here in competing brands. Although, I do not find the home grown makers items any less expensive than imported items in this regard. Dunno. In any case, if I want some new toys, I'll have to wait until I go to Japan or Hong Kong on holiday to buy them at a decent price.

My apartment is also feeling like home now, too. For the most part it is clean and quiet. Although, I have had the occasional bug(s) once in a while, they are rare. And, sometimes someone has their TV/stereo too loud. But, this only happens about once or twice a month and does not last too long. I can live with that. As the plumbing is somewhat different here, there is sometimes the slight smell of sewage in my apartment, but this is something I have gotten used to by now. And, it is not as bad as the description makes it seem to be either. Plus, and this is the BEST part, I have my own laundry machine right in my own unit. No more having to go the laundry room and just hope no inconsiderate ass doesn't usurp all the machines. Laundry back in Canada could take all day to do if this happens. And, for a only a single load!

As for my health, like I said earlier, my ability to eat a wider variety of foods without problems has been great. My skin had also revitalized during the warmer moister weather of late summer and I did not need any creams, etc. to prevent it from cracking. But, now that the colder drier weather has arrived, I find myself needing creams for my skin again. At least I know I won't need them year round like I did back in Canada. That's another plus. Allergies are somewhat indeterminate presently. The fall changing of the leaves has arrived and I have had some days of bad allergy reactions, but nothing that lasted longer than a few days. It's more off and on right now. I hope I do not need meds for it that lasts for months at a time (spring and fall) like it did back in Canada. So far, it's been bearable. I'll have to see how the rest of the season goes.

Well, there you have, my impressions and life here thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment